Here are a couple of recipes that can be used as homemade cookie treats — let me know if you try them (or if your dog does!)
2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp. (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) water or milk
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil (what original recipe called for — can substitute other oils if desired)
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) honey
1 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl stir together water, oil and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until you have a soft dough.
On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a rectangle that measures roughly 8×14-inch. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Starting from a long edge, roll up jelly-role style and pinch the edge to seal. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice half an inch thick and place slices cut side down on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until springy to the touch. Wait until they have cooled completely before you spread them with cream cheese.
Makes about 2 dozen biscuits. Store extra in a tightly covered container of freeze. If they are frosted, store the container in the fridge.
Note — I have also used this recipe combining the cinnamon and honey into the mixture directly and using my cookie cutters to make the desired shapes (as in picture) — I believe he liked these just as much as the rolled cookies!
Homemade Flax Seed Dog Biscuit Recipe
(note: I have not tried making these yet, but came across this recipe some time ago and think it would be a very good one — though I might try substituting with other types of flour to avoid too much wheat… I’ll let you know how things work out when I try this)
- Combine wheat flour, bread flour, wheat germ, salt, and brown sugar, and flax seed in mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and vegetable oil.
- Dissolve dry milk in water then incorporate the mixture.
- Mix to form a very firm dough that is smooth and workable. Adjust by adding a little extra flour or water as required.
- Cover the dough and set aside to relax for 15-20 min.
- Roll the dough out to 1/2″ (1.2cm) thick. Cut out biscuits using a bone-shaped cutter 3″x1.5″ (7.5×3.7cm). Place the biscuits on sheet pans lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for approx. 40 minutes or until biscuits are brown and, more importantly, rock-hard. Let biscuits cool, then store in a covered container five to six feet off the floor :D. Use as needed to reward your four-legged friends.
Enjoy! And hope your dogs will too!!
Enjoy!! And let me know if you try these recipes!